Friday, April 29, 2011

The Hambledown Dream
Dean Mayes
ireadiwrite Publishing
5195
Central Avenue,Delta BC V47K 2H1 Canada
+1 604 765 8194
ireadiwrite.com
978-1-926760-27-8 ebook 978-1-926760-33-9 print
$3.99 and $15.95
284 pages


As a reviewer, if I say I will review a book then I do so no matter what. I started reading this book and thought to myself what a mistake I have made. The language is vulgar and some sexual escapade's . The main character is a young man named Andy DeVrie who is a drug dealer and courier. One night he over dose’s on drugs. He had flat line in the hospital, and after using the paddles four times the doctors were able to bring him back to life.

Then a strange thing begins to happen. Andy begins to change the way he lives. Even his eye color changes from brown to green. He has these dreams of a woman and the life he had with her. He feels another presence within himself and the woman in his dreams calls him Denny.

He stopped selling and doing drugs. He paid a high price for doing so. He was beat within an inch of his life. The one thing that Andy loved more than anything was playing his guitar. He was a student at a prestigious Conservatory for classical guitar, and if not for one teacher he would have been kicked out.

Andy played technically correct, but it is with the help of Denny he learns to feel the music. To become one with his guitar and let the music take him to different places.

This book is a lovely love story between a man and a woman. But it is also about the magic of music. I can honestly say I felt the music and enjoyed this book. I played violin for years, so it was easy for me to envision what Andy/Denny felt as he played. To lose yourself and everything around you until the music fades away.

Rated PG (sent into Midwest in May)

No comments: