Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Seeds of Spring: Lessons From the Garden

This book is so much more than just a how to garden book. The author takes us on an adventure in gardening for a season. I found this book to be philosophical, poetic, a test of endurance and informative.

Mr. Bates believes we should all be responsible in taking care of our planet. It is up to us to be as environmentally friendly, as we can be.

I had never thought a garden could be a work of art, until I read this book. The way the author plans his garden you will find different colors at different times of the growing season. The colors, shapes and textures could be compared to a realist painting.

I have to add that this book is also funny. I will never be able to look at a chicken again without remembering the battles Mr. Bates faced in keeping them out of his garden. The immortal cry of “fried chicken, fried chicken,” will always stay in my mind. I have to leave you with this warning, do not read this book and then go to a KFC for a long time. I did and could not stop laughing. I don’t know where it came from but I started saying in a loud voice “fried chicken, fried chicken."My friend is still saying "she can’t take me any where as she never knows what I might say." This is a five star book, and I give it a G rating.

No comments: